Recipe by Eli Masem, Photography by Jonathan Mora
(serve in a cappuccino cup)
- 1.5-2oz of Espresso
- Vanilla extract
- Cardamom extract
- 2 cups raw sugar
- Whole Milk
- Pistachio (Ground to a sea salt coarseness either in a spice grinder or with a small food processor)
- Make vanilla cardamom simple syrup by bringing to a boil two cups of raw sugar and two cups of water, mixing until all sugar dissolves. Add one tablespoon of vanilla extract and less than a teaspoon of cardamom extract and there you have it. This can be stored up to 2 weeks in the fridge and is also great in cocktails or poured over ice cream.
- Brew 1.5 to 2 ounces of espresso into cappuccino cup.
- Steam whole milk as your would for a cappuccino.
- Mix espresso and 0.5oz vanilla cardamom simple syrup in cup.
- Pour milk into cup.
- Dust with ground pistachio.
The sweet bombay is my espresso drink take on the Indian dessert, Kulfi. It's a bit like ice cream inundated with some exotic flavors (in this case vanilla and cardamom) and rolled in pistachio. I decided to tone down the sweet (Indian desserts tend toward the cloyingly sweet). Using a minimal amount of vanilla cardamom syrup and a final dusting of pistachio to close, the end result is rich and creamy but not overbearingly large or sweet.